GPT relies on natural resources in our business activities. The resilience of these environmental resources and processes is fundamental to our ability to create value and deliver financial returns now and in the future. We share in the responsibility of reducing the environmental impact of our business activities, and aim to reach a point where resources are sustainable used and waste and emissions are at or do not exceed levels that can be re-absorbed in the environment without harm.
2020 Key Results
- The GPT Wholesale Office Fund achieved its carbon neutral target, with all operating buildings independently certified by NABERS and Climate Active for Buildings, in alignment with the International Greenhouse Gas Protocol.
- We set a new Group carbon neutral 2024 target date for all wholly-owned and managed assets, bringing forward our previous target by six years.
- We set a target to be water neutral by 2030.
- We commenced climate hazard identification and adaptation planning for assets in our portfolio.
- We reached 4.6 MW of solar photovoltaic arrays installed across the portfolio at the end of 2020.
- The Group's Office portfolio delivered a a 5.8 Star Weighted Average NABERS Energy Rating (with GreenPower), a 4.0 Star Average NABERS Water Rating and a 3.0 Star Average NABERS Waste Rating (68 per cent rated) for the Group's Office portfolio.
- The Group's Retail portfolio delivered a 4.4 Star Weighted Average NABERS Energy Rating (without GreenPower) for the Group's Retail portfolio.
- Over 70 per cent of GPT-managed assets (by area) were serviced by GECA Waste Collection Services certified contractors.
- 1,400 tonnes of organic materials were recycled in a closed loop.
- Our biodiversity tool was used to identify on-site actions to improve biodiversity at two shopping centres.
- Our biodiversity project investments supported the restoration of ecosystems, improvement of waterways and removal of over 6,400 tonnes of CO2-e emissions.
Our Management Approach and Progress
Environmental sustainability is integrated into the management of our portfolio operations and development projects. Working with site teams and other key stakeholders, performance is reviewed and targets set to improve GPT’s environmental sustainability performance each year.
We track the performance of all sites for our material environmental aspects and use this for management reporting, driving improvements and disclosing our performance.
Detailed environmental performance by impact area is provided in the pages contained in the environment section of our website and published in external reports, including the:
- GPT Environment Data Pack provides detailed data, charts and information on the performance of our portfolio, funds and buildings, including summary progress by year since our 2005 baseline and current building ratings and certifications with industry bodies like NABERS, Green Star and Climate Active;
- GPT Sustainability Report details our broader ESG approach and progress;
- GPT Climate Disclosure Statement is aligned to the recommendations of the Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosures;
- GPT Climate Active Public Disclosure Summary details GPT's carbon neutral corporate operations in the most recent year; and,
- GPT Annual Report and related reports detail our portfolio and asset performance.
Our Material Impacts and Approach
The following areas are GPT's most material environmental impacts and have policies that outline our approach, long-term objectives and strategies. Our primary focus is to reduce the impact in areas within our control and be an overall positive contributor to the environment. Beyond the environmental impacts within GPT’s direct control, we support and encourage GPT’s stakeholders to take action where we have influence.
|Policy area||Summary of our objective and approach|
|Climate Change and Energy||The GPT Group will be carbon neutral and resilient to the impacts of climate change by driving efficiency, developing on-site solar energy, procuring off-site renewable contractos for electricity and electrification.|
|Materials and Waste Management||The GPT Group will procure, use and recover materials in a closed loop, circular manner by managing consumption of materials through procurement and recovery activities.|
|Water||The GPT Group will be water neutral and resilient to water scarcity and extreme rain events by delivering driving efficiency improvements, matching end uses to appropriate water sources, evaluating water discharge rate and quality and investing residual water usage.|
|Biodiversity||The GPT Group will have a net positive impact on biodiversity by assessing and measuring our impacts, improving the value of sites and material selection and investing in reforestation programs.|